In 1949 Jack McIntaggart purchased a tract of land from Ethel Odessa, which extended from what is now known as lot 1595 Champlain Rd to lot 1769 Champlain Rd. He then subdivided it for seasonal dwellings and called the development "Clearwater Beach" because of the clarity of the water.
At the time Concession 17 ended at the Bush road so that the only access to the property was by a lumber trail from the Bush road to the beach road at Marygrove.
This lasted until about 1956 when the Concession was extended straight through to the beach road. Up to this time the beach road had ended at Daniels' property (1673 Champlain Road). It was opened up to Crescentwood Beach, allowing the development of the north end.
In 1951 Jack Purkis called a meeting in his cottage (1641 Champlain Road) for the purpose of organizing a ratepayers' association. Those who attended were Bill Hendry, Sam Goodfellow, Maurice Hook, Bill Dalrymple, Jack Purkis, Harry Hook, Ray Hook and Jack McIntaggart. It was moved that Jack Purkis write the constitution and bylaws for presentation the following year. This was done and in July 1952 they were passed at a general meeting held in Maurice Hook's boat house (1631 Champlain Road). Maurice Hook was elected the first president and Jack Purkis was elected the secretary treasurer. Thus the association was formed.
At first it covered only the McIntaggart sub-division. As the south end had been developed and the middle section was starting to fill in, the following year the boundary was extended past Pinery Point to the Marygrove boundary by mutual consent.
When the beach road was cut through to Crescentwood, the north end developed and in 1959 George Britton from that area approached the association to request membership for the north end as far as the lot now known as 1769 Champlain Road. He said they preferred to join our association rather than Crescentwood Beach, as we were able to get better road improvements in our area.
With their acceptance, the entire area between Marygrove and Crescentwood Beach became known as Clearwater Beach, and George Summers erected our signs at both ends. We then introduced the idea of numbering the cottages, which the township subsequently adopted.
The "Fun Day" on the Saturday of Labour Day Weekend first started as a swim meet in 1953 for the purpose of encouraging the children to learn to swim. It was held at Harry Hook's cottage and from the beginning was a great success.
As the children got older, having developed their skills, the entries to swimming events dropped off so that races and special events were introduced. By the mid 60s it got too much for Harry so Bill Parker took it on but again there was not sufficient space and arrangements were then made to hold our "Fun Day" at Marygrove. It is interesting to note that since its inception it has never rained on the afternoon of the event. Once when Bill Parker held it, it rained heavily all morning up until noon and then it stopped, requiring the cars to go up and down the beach blaring "it's on", "it's on". Last year 250 of our residents enjoyed our 47th consecutive Fun Day on Labour Day Saturday.
In the mid 60s when the water was as low as it is now, the Royal Yacht Britannia (and the Queen) passed Clearwater Beach on her way to Penetang harbour, accompanied by 3 WW2 destroyers. When the Britannia and the destroyers left the harbour at 30 knots, the abnormally shallow water (then as now only 1 to 4 feet deep on the shallow wide shelf of sand and rock that parallels our beach's shore) was sucked away, baring the shelf, then crashed back. The water swept back and forth, dropping boats onto the bottom.
Winter activities started to develop in the late 60s and early 70s with the introduction of snowmobiles. More and more cottages were opening up every weekend and a winter fellowship developed. In cold winters, it has been possible to watch leads open and close in the ice on the shallow shelf, and, at spring break-up, to see the ice go out, scraping small rocks and sand along like a road grader. This ice-action gradually demolished the permanent rock-filled cribbed docks of the 60s, until none remain today except those massively reinforced with concrete and steel.
The attractions of year round life have prompted many to winterize or to replace the cottage with a year round residence. Many have made this their permanent home on retirement. Thus the beach continues to grow and develop.