Farlain Lake is located between Concessions 16 and 19 of Tiny Township, just inland from Toanche and adjacent to Awenda Provincial Park. A geographer would call it a finger lake, because it is the result of glacial action scraping a long narrow gouge which then filled up with water. Thus, Farlain Lake is a spring fed lake, approximately 2 1/2 miles long and 3/4 of a mile wide.
Over 200 registered lots surround the Lake providing enjoyment to both permanent and seasonal residents. The majority of the land was originally part of three large farms. One was the Quesnelle farm, which fronted on the 16th concession and ran back to include the south end of Farlain Lake. The other 2 farms, which included the whole west side and the north end, were owned by the Cooks, which explains why many locals have called it Cooks Lake.
The Quesnelle farm remains but ceased to be an active farm a few decades ago. It was the first to sever off cottage lots and so the recreational use of the south end began in the 1920s. By the 1930s there was a population sufficient to support Moons Place, a combination convenience store/dance pavilion, which was also the site of many euchre parties and general good times. Moons Place and all other commercial ventures have long since disappeared from the lake.
The north Cook farm, a 400 acre general farm since the 1870s, was sold in 1945 to a Mr. Taylor, who used it as a recreational property and as an investment. In the '50s he created cottage lot developments, sold many lots and built on others to rent out as summer places. When he died in 1959, he willed the remaining property to Millie Alport, who gradually sold the rental cottages, usually to long-term tenants. Millie lived in the original Cook farmhouse, and on the six acres still in her possession she kept four palomino horses until ill health forced her to give up the farm in 1995. Many children on Farlain Lake got their first thrilling horseback ride on Honey Bee, who lived for all but two of her 32 years on the shores of the Lake.
The Cooks purchased the 300-acre south farm in 1900 from the Georgian Bay Lumber Company. In 1928, David Pratt, of Midland, purchased it as a hobby farm. He had caretakers work the farm and did extensive reforestation and major excavation work to create a series of ponds out of the original one so that he could raise trout for sport fishing. In 1935, his son Lorne built a summer house on a point of land about the middle of the farms shoreline but as time went on it was rarely used. Because it sat alone amidst a mile of forested shore, the youngsters on the lake came to think of it as the haunted house. They saw it as a test of courage to enter it and it became great fodder for their campfire stories.
In 1969, the farm was divided and sold. The original 1911 farmhouse and 235 acres went to the Polish National Union, who used it for recreational purposes and the remainder went to a developer, who began the 90-cottage lot development known as Wildwood Estates. In 1986, the Polish Club sold the farm, but retained 10 acres on the south side of the 17th Concession and built a new clubhouse on the shore. The current owners of the farm, the Sweenies, regret to say that there are no trout left in the ponds.
In the '90s, a proposed development of the north tip of the lake (the underground drainage end) and the Gypsy moth invasion caused the reactivation of the cottagers' association to deal with these environmental concerns. The association succeeded in having strict environmental protection rules put in place on all remaining building lots and future development. The association has also served as a forum for information addressing a variety of concerns both specific to our Lake and to the Township as a whole.
One area of action arose from concern over the six unfortunate drownings on the lake over the last 30 years. Perhaps because Farlain is such a small calm lake, carelessness creeps in. The association has sponsored water safety courses in the hope of preventing any more tragedies.
It also tries to disseminate general information on how to maintain the water quality of the lake, an important need considering the high population density on a small lake. Each year water quality and clarity tests are done and the results are reported at the annual meeting. At the associations request, the Simcoe District Health Unit has checked for faulty septic tanks.
The residents of the lake have been asked to use environmentally friendly detergents and to discourage the use of soaps and shampoos in the lake and not to use fertilizers on their lawns which would wash into the lake, promoting weed and algae growth.
And for fun, the association has an annual picnic and games day, followed the next day by a decorated boat parade, led by Farly, the elusive Farlain Lake monster, who only appears this one day a year.